About Andy Li
Committed to Serving Our Community
Having been born and raised in one of the poorest communities of a large city in China, I immigrated to United States with only $500 to my name. I understand the financial challenges that many families face. As a member of the Governing Board, I committed myself to ensure community colleges stay as affordable and accessible as possible.
Besides serving as a trustee, I am an active community member and civic participant. Lead by serving is my motto. Because of my years of service to the community and leadership, I was awarded API of the Year by Assemblymember Rebecca Bauer-Kahan in 2020. I am proud of my community service history in several local nonprofit organizations, as well as committees, for various government entities.
• President, Civic Leadership Foundation (CLUSA), 2022 – present
CLUSA is a 501(c)3 organization dedicated to empower and organize the Asian and Pacific Islander American (APIA) communities, to create a national network of civic-minded organizations and leaders and work in unity.
• President, API Coalition, 2021 – present
API Coalition is a nationwide non-profit organization with a focus of uniting Asian and Pacific Islander American leaders and API organizations. Working as a team, the API Coalition and members promote APIA empowerment and civic engagement.
• Board Member, Discovery Counseling Center of San Ramon Valley, 2022 – present
Discovery Counseling Center is a community based non-profit organization serving the San Ramon Valley for over 50 years. Discovery Counseling Center’s mission is to be the community’s leader in mental wellness.
- Board Secretary, Asian American Pacific Islander Trustees & Administrators Caucus, 2020 – present
- Annual Association Awards Committee Member, National Association of Community College Trustee, 2021 – present
• Board Member, Leadership San Ramon Valley Program, 2016 – present
Leadership San Ramon Valley is the organization to train leaders in the San Ramon Valley area. Many of elected officials, senior city staff and community leaders graduate from this program. It was an honor to be elected and serve on the board of this prominent organization.
• Member, Dougherty Valley San Ramon Rotary Club, 2013 – present
As an active Rotarian, I helped the community by doing volunteer work as well as making financial contribution.
• Former Commissioner, Contra Costa County Managed Care Commission, 2015 – 2018
Appointed by Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors. My responsibilities included:
- Addressing health care concerns for the Medi-Cal, Medicare, Commercial, and Medically Indigent persons served by the County.
- Ensuring provider, consumer, and community, as well as gender, ethnic, cultural, and geographically diverse population have input in deliberations and decision-making.
- Developing long-range planning and policy formulation, and making recommendations to the Board of Supervisors, County Health Services Director and Chief Executive Office of CCHP/Local Initiative.
• Former Member, San Ramon City Economic Development Advisory Committee (EDAC), 2014 – 2018
Appointed by the San Ramon Mayor and City Council, I supported existing businesses in San Ramon in order to allow them to thrive, attracted new businesses to San Ramon and promoted shopping in local stores to increase San Ramon sales tax revenue.
• Former Member, San Ramon Valley Unified School District (SRVUSD) Parcel Tax Oversight Committee (PTOC), 2015 – 2017
Appointed by SRVUSD board members to oversee the expenditure of $7 million parcel tax money collected through voter approved measure C in 2009 and measure A in 2015.
• Former Member, Bella Vista Elementary School Site Council, 2016 – 2018
Elected by Bella Vista Elementary school parents, I helped, in conjunction with the principal, to develop, review and evaluate school improvement programs and budget.
• Former Chair, Bella Vista Elementary School PTA and Education Foundation Nomination Committee, 2016
When Bella Vista Elementary School first started, I was selected by parents and school officials as the school PTA nomination chair and Education Foundation nomination chair. I assisted in building both PTA and education foundation for the new school.
• Former Chair, San Ramon Hidden Hills PTA of Run for Education, 2015 – 2016
Served as PTA Run for Education Chair at Hidden Hill Elementary School to organize the most important fundraising event for the school.